Saturday, July 02, 2005

An expression of my distaste for Northwest Airlines

I see blogs as having many uses, but the most commonly referenced always seems to be personal rants. I think this stereotype is off-base, but I will justify it to some extent with this post, mainly because the issue at hand warrants a little bitching.

Northwest Airlines will be receiving a letter from me. I am upset with their organization. Firstly, they canceled our flight to Detroit due to weather, thereby ensuring that we missed our connecting flight to Dehli. I was thoroughly displeased to see that another airline's plane left from the directly adjacent terminal headed to Detroit only 40 minutes later. Not a concrete complaint, but aggravating, to be sure.

Further, though Northwest canceled our flight, they do not feel any burden of responsibility for our extended stay in D.C. rests on their shoulders. Thus, the fudge room in CAORC's budget was absorbed by our additional transport and hotel costs, as opposed to going toward our activities and the personnel facilitating them. I find this especially troubling, because Northwest is irrefutably responsible for our prolonged stay, and seemingly unwilling to man up to their responsibility. I suppose this bothers me because I think, if I were a private consumer, my lodging would have been covered. Because, instead, I am participating in a governmental program, my concerns are of lesser importance to the private industry. Certainly, at some point, Northwest lobbied the government to mandate that all governmental programs fly on a domestically based airlines. This isn't an absurd idea in and of itself, but if this governmental handout serves to detriment those governmental institutions financially and temporally, something has gone awry. I see Northwest as the instigator.

Lastly, I was accosted by the Northwest respresentative at Washington Dulles airport. Jay, a woman seemingly of Indian heritage, asked why I was traveling to India. I informed her that I was traveling to Dehli, Agra, Ajmer and Lucknow to visit the religious, political, and cultural sites of India. She responded "we don't like evangelists in our country." I was amazed, but responded that I was not an evangelist, and not even Christian. She told me that we were not wanted in her country. I told her that I was sorry to hear that. She explained that our nations had nothing to talk about. I said that I disagreed, and wished her a good day.
This woman should be fired.

No comments: